Is it just me or has 2016 been a whirlwind already! With all the hectic-ness (is that a word? Now it is!) of opening a small business, easy meals have become king in my kitchen so today I wanted to share with you one of my easiest but yet tastiest recipes for the busy bee. And let me add here, easy and tasty and healthy rarely all happen at once for the gluten free foodie, but this Spicy Sprout Sammie is going to change all that!
This sandwich has the classic goodness of tart green apples, nutty sprouts, and creamy avocado but if you’re not already sold, here’s what really makes this sandwich something special: sriracha hummus. Oh yes, it’s back and I’m obsessed. A few weeks ago I posted a recipe for my crazy tasty srircaha hummus and I am thrilled to be bringing it back! The smoothness of the hummus goes perfectly on this sandwich and the sriracha heat, I mean, doesn’t it always make pretty much everything better? Always!
For this recipe I used Udi’s Flax bread which is one of my absolute favorites but please feel free to swap it for YOUR favorite bread! Especially if you’re vegan or have other allergies, use whatever bread works for you!
- 3.5 cups chickpeas (2 cans)
- 1/2 the canning liquid from one can (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp sriracha or to your level of spicy!
- 2 pieces gluten free bread
- 1/4 green apple
- 1/4 cup sprouts (your favorite or a blend)
- 1/3 avocado
- sprinkle of salt
- Blend everything for the hummus and set aside
- Toast your bread
- While bread toasts, cut apple and avocado.
- Smother both sides of the sandwich with sriracha hummus. Layer on sprouts (so they stick to the hummus), then avocado, then apple.
- Put it all together and enjoy!
- Store leftover apple and avocado in the fridge in sealed bags for future sandwiches.
- This is NOT a sandwich I would recommend making ahead of time since the gluten free bread doesn't hold up well over time.
- This recipe makes plenty of hummus for a week's worth of sandwiches and snacking!