Okay, tonight’s post is a split surgery update and tasty easy noms partnership. On the surgery front, well, we’ll get to that. On the noms side, this Sweet Vanilla Almond Granola is the ultimate whatever-you’ve-got pantry clean out recipe. It’s perfect for everything from simple snacking to turning your favorite yogurt into a filling meal!
On the food front, I love this vanilla almond granola recipe because it’s my favorite word: customizable. I filled this recipe with my favorites (it has Justin’s Almond Butter, ’nuff said), but you can and definitely should swap the ingredients around for whatever you like!
Here’s some great ways to change it up:
- Make it chewy: use a little more honey/ nut butter and squeeze together clumps, you can also get better chewy chunks if you use instant oats instead of traditional
- Make it crunchy: definitely use traditional oats, mix up the tray half way through to break up clumps
- Nuts: almonds, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, cashews
- Fruits: raisins, golden raisins, cranberries, cherries, even dried diced pineapple!
- Add ins: coconut shreds, coconut flakes, chocolate chips, chia seeds, goji berries, pumpkin seeds, any other seeds you like!
- Sweeteners: agave, honey, dates, maple syrup
- Binders: almond butter, peanut butter, any other nut butter really!
Here’s the update: Going in we knew I had a torn labrum (cartilage in my right hip) that was caused by a significant CAM impingement (extra bone on the head of my femur). The plan was to see how bad the tear was and maybe fix it, maybe leave it, but definitely shave down the impingement so this wouldn’t happen again. Well once they got in there they learned my labrum was actually 80% disconnected from my hip SO they reattached it with a ceramic bone anchor and fixed the tear before moving on to resurface the bone. The good news is that the surgeons said it was a complete success, everything went great and in a year I’ll be back to 100%! The meh news is that I can’t fully weight bear for a month so Disney in a wheelchair here I come. If you have any experience vacationing in a wheelchair I would really love to hear about it! I’m kind of nervous, to be honest, but it’s Disney, if anyone can make it magical it’s Disney 🙂
- 1 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup gluten free instant oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 6 Tbsp agave
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- Heat oven to 375
- Microwave agave and almond butter together for 20 seconds.
- Mix everything in a bowl with a small pinch of salt.
- Spread mixture on a baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Shake up the pan (just enough so things aren't sticking) then bake for about 10 more minutes or until golden and enjoy!
- 143 calories, 8g fat, 15 carbs, 5g protein