Flannel shirts, hot cups of tea, and Spiced Lentil Soup, yup, winter’s here and I am so excited! Why? Because it’s soup season! Maybe I’m just a little weird, but you know that interview question “if you could only eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?” and any normal person would probably say mac and cheese or guacamole or chocolate? Yeah, I say soup. It’s warm and filling and I can fill it with my favorite things so whatever I’m in the mood for, it’s always the right choice. That’s not even mentioning all the perks of one pot meals! Therefore, I warn you now, Fresh Fit Foodie is probably going to turn into Fresh Fit Soupie until I have to pack away my fuzzy winter socks!
Now let’s talk about this Spiced Lentil Soup because it so deserves to be on regular rotation in your kitchen. First of all this soup is a health goddess! With a fantastic 6 grams of vegan, gluten free protein in each 94 calorie serving, a big bowl of this Spiced Lentil Soup not only makes a soul warming winter dinner, but also an awesome plant powered recovery snack after a good workout! Oh yeah, I said plant powered because lentils are not only fiber filled, they’re also protein packed!
And it deserves mentioning that, like most soups, this Spiced Lentil Soup is my favorite thing ever in recipes: customizable! I went super simple with the veggies here: the classic carrot, celery, onion, garlic base with some cherry tomatoes and last minute spinach (so it’s just the right bit wilted and warm). BUT if you want to add even more garden to your bowl, this soup would be awesome with some zucchini, butternut squash, heartier greens like kale, really whatever you like in your soups!
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup celery
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cups red lentils
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 3-6 cups spinach
- Heat oil to medium high (7 out of 10)
- Add onions, garlic, celery, and carrots, cook 4-5 minutes.
- While that cooks cut the tomatoes in half then add them and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add spices and lentils, cook 1 minute.
- Add broth and 2 cups water, cover and let sit at a low boil for 10-12 minutes.
- Season with salt & pepper. Add spinach, stir 1 minute until spinach wilts and enjoy.
- 95 calories, 1g fat, 15 carbs, 6g protein
- Watch the cook time, you want the lentils to be tender but not mushy. You can really add as many greens as you want but make sure you save that for the end so they don't get too wilted.
- If you want even more protein you could add beans, up the greens, or add in your favorite source of protein.