When I think about easy, healthy, portable snacks, the first thing I think of is granola. But not just any granola, I think of sweet chunks of chewy oats and other goodies that are easy to grab when I don’t have time for much else. Thankfully, this recipe for Chewy Cherry Pecan Granola is about as easy to make as it is to snack on!
It’s not only how incredibly easy this recipe is to make that keeps it on rotation in my Sunday food prep- it’s also how customizable it is. Whether I’m in clean-out-the-pantry mode or I-know-exactly-what-I-want mode, this recipe is always right because it’s always custom on every level. As you’re looking at this recipe, keep in mind that you can customize absolutely everything! Here’s a quick guide to what to change and why…
- Instant Oats: for chewier clumps and smaller pieces
- Classic Oats: for smaller clumps and heartier pieces
- Gluten Free: if you’re gluten intolerant like me!
2 Parts Dried Fruit
- Cranberries, Raisins, Golden Raisins: for sweeter bites
- Cherries, Goji Berries: for more tart bites
- Apricots, Pineapple, etc: for creative combinations!
1.5 Parts Nuts & Seeds
- Nuts: peanuts, pecans, walnuts, cashews, almonds, brazil nuts, etc
- Chopped: for more even distribution
- Whole: to really appreciate the nuttiness of your nuts
- Seeds: Sunflower, chia, hemp, etc
1 part Binder
- Nut Butters: for more protein and rich flavor
- Agave (or honey): for added sweetness
- Egg Whites: to turn your granola into granola bars
- Protein Powder, Matcha, Bee Pollen, and other additives for additional nutritional benefits
Okay, over the moon with options here? Well let’s start with the combo I’ve been snacking on all week! I made up a batch of this, snacked on a bunch, let my husband snack on a bunch, then packed everything that was left into a mason jar and brought it to work for quick pick me ups! I love having healthy options at work, it takes pressure off my morning packing and helps me keep going on especially busy days!
If you’re more of a specific meal planner, though, you can also portion this out and pack it up into single serving bags or jars. I called it 10 servings because that’s an easy number (and a good snack size), but you can make it whatever servings you want! I use Whole Foods 365 brand Vegan Pea Protein because I like the macros best but use whatever powder you like (or just leave it out). A vanilla or chocolate powder would be great!
- 2 cups gluten free instant oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup agave
- 2 scoops Pea Protein Powder
- Heat oven to 375
- Mix together all ingredients
- Spread mixture onto a large baking sheet and spread evenly
- Bake 15 minutes, stir to break up chunks then bake another 5 minutes
- Let cool and enjoy!
- 230 calories, 6g fat, 39 carbs, 6g protein
- **Gluten Free oats are significantly higher calorie than regular oats. From what I've seen and read, oats are only gluten-containing because of possible cross contamination in the factory so if you are not highly sensitive and want to lower the calories you may want to consider regular. This swap would save about 440 calories across the whole recipe or 44 calories per serving.