There’s two kinds of people in the world: people who love cauliflower and people who just don’t know they love it yet. Okay, maybe that’s a bit extreme, but there’s a magic to curried cauliflower that takes your everyday vegetable and makes it incredible.
I think cauliflower gets a bad reputation from being either (A) boiled to a mushy grave or (B) badly “hidden” in macaroni. Insert your own hidden horror story here, I have 2- the bouncy cauli-meatball fiasco of 1999, and the time my mom tried to throw florets, florets!, into macaroni, not even macaroni and cheese, and THEN boiled it to death for a double whammy! Cauliflower survival stories aside, curried cauliflower is absolute redemption for this veggie. Spicy, fragrant, soft but never (ever!) mushy, it’s roasted to flavorful perfection.
For this recipe I took the curried cauliflower that managed to escape the pan (I’m a notorious straight-off-the-pan eater) and combined it with creamy homemade hummus, fresh vegetables, and hearty brown rice. It all comes together in a satisfying, tasty meal perfect for packing up for lunch! It’s best with warm rice and cauliflower and cool hummus and veg so even though it creates more dishes, I actually like to pack this up separated then mix it all up when it’s time to dig in.
- 1/2 can chickpeas (with about 1/4 of the canning liquid)
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1.5 tsp tahini
- juice of 1/4 lemon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 cups cauliflower (1 head)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 medium carrots (peeled & diced)
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/2 tomato (diced)
- Heat oven to 400. Toss everything for the cauliflower on a large baking pan and roast for 20 minutes.
- While cauliflower cooks, blend up everything for the hummus. Store in the fridge.
- When you're ready to assemble, each bowl gets.... 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/3 cauliflower, 1/3 tomato, 1/3 onion, 1/3 carrots, 1/3 hummus (about 1/4 cup).
- NUTRITIONAL INFO
- 314 calories, 8g fat, 54 carbs, 11g protein